Dr. Krystal Nizar
Current Position: Psychiatrist
Languages: English, Mandarin
Specialties: General psychiatry, integrative psychiatry
About Dr. Krystal Nizar
A recent graduate of the University of California, San Diego, Dr. Krystal Nizar brings just over nine years of experience and over two decades of passion for mental health and issues relating to the human brain. Dr. Nizar has a deeply scientific background, having studied neurobiology and neurosciences at the University of Chicago. She’s studied the scientific causes and implications of mental health issues, including obsessive compulsive disorder. Dr. Nizar promotes mental healthcare as a basic human right, providing counseling and care with consideration for the patient’s wellbeing. Seeking to educate and empower, Dr. Nizar works with individuals and families to navigate the world of mental health care and science literacy in a way that’s accessible.
Dr. Nizar focuses on person-centered care, working with patients to determine their goals and help them choose the direction their care takes. She seeks to avoid exploitation and harm to patients in all avenues of mental health care. Dr. Nizar helps patients grapple with the big questions of life—pain, loneliness, suffering, and mortality—along with treating general mental health concerns, like clinical depression, anxiety, personality disorders, mood disorders, ADHD, Schizophrenia, insomnia, and more. Dr. Nizar works with patients to help them understand their mental health on a deeper, scientific level as well as providing therapy.
Dr. Nizar lives in and works out of Iowa.
- Certified in Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- CA State Medical License
- IA State Medical License
- Bachelor of Arts (Neurobiology and Neurosciences), summa cum laude, University of Chicago
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology), summa cum laude, University of Chicago
- Doctor of Medicine/PhD (medicine/neuroscience), University of California, San Diego
- Residency for Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco (UCSF)
Bio and Interests
I am a Board Certified Psychiatrist working with Babylon since 2020, located in Iowa City. I completed my MD psychiatric training at UC San Francisco as well as advanced psychotherapy training through the SF Center for Psychoanalysis and other additional specialty behavioral therapy training. I integrate a wide range of therapeutic approaches in order to provide individualized treatment to each patient. I work with adults to address a wide range of problems including ADHD, Anxiety Disorders, Anger Management, Depressive Disorders, Family Issues, Grief/Bereavement, Medication Management, OCD, Substance Abuse, and the process of coming to terms with difficult and traumatic life situations. I offer psychotherapy and, when appropriate, make careful use of medication treatment. I believe in iterative diagnostic assessment and collaborative treatment planning so every patient feels as well understood and cared for as possible.
- Deficits in Physiological and Self-Conscious Emotional Response to Errors in Hoarding Disorder
- Age-Specific Prevalence of Hoarding and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder : A Population-Based Study
- The roadmap for estimation of cell-type-specific neuronal activity from non-invasive measurements.
- Cell type specificity of neurovascular coupling in cerebral cortex
- In vivo Stimulus-Induced Vasodilation Occurs without IP3 Receptor Activation and May Precede Astrocytic Calcium Increase
- In Vivo Alterations in Calcium Buffering Capacity in Transgenic Mouse Model of Synucleinopathy
- Frontiers in Optical Imaging of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism
- Mapping the Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Calcium Signaling in Cellular Neural Networks Using Optical Flow
- The influence of facial feedback on race bias
UC Chancellor’s award for collaborative research